- What is Sforzando like?
- Sforzando is a day camp hosted by Marquette Manor Baptist Church. Orchestra rehearsals, music theory classes, technical instruction, and chamber groups challenge violin, viola, cello, and bass players of all ages. Campers are spiritually encouraged by attending chapel and interacting with fellow campers and staff. We also know how to have a good time! Past years have featured skits, Spirit Days, flash mobs, and more. The spiritual refreshment of being with like-minded dedicated musicians is for many campers the highlight of their year.
- Who is Sforzando for?
- Sforzando is for musicians of all ages, levels, and backgrounds. Campers from ages 3 to 70 have enjoyed Sforzando. The only requirement is a willingness to learn, make new friends, grow musically, and have a great time!
- How much does camp cost?
Track Cost Pre-Orchestra $140 Beginner Orchestra $165 Intermediate Orchestra $190 Advanced Orchestra $225
Payment covers the registration fee, tuition, and a t-shirt. Discounts are available for families and for early registration.
- What should I bring?
- Instrument, rosin, and shoulder rest
- Extra strings (just in case!)
- Endpin stop (cellos and basses only)
- Your music
- Music stand clearly labeled with your name
- When will I receive my music?
- Music is sent out by email in June after registration closes. Campers are expected to print their music and practice it before coming to camp. By the time Sforzando starts, campers should have the notes and rhythms learned so they can start working on musicality and ensemble.
- How is orchestra seating determined?
- Campers in the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Orchestras will upload a short video clip to Youtube. Music excerpts for the audition will be selected from the music sent out in June. Seating placement for Beginner and Advanced Orchestras are final. Campers in the Intermediate Orchestra can voluntarily challenge each other during the week of camp to improve their seat position.
- Are meals provided?
- Lunches will not be provided this year. Intermediate and Advanced campers should plan to bring their own meals Monday through Friday. All campers are encouraged to bring snacks as needed.
- Is there a dress code?
- Yes. Click here for more information: Sforzando Dress Guidelines
- Can my family come?
- Yes! Parents and siblings are encouraged to attend. There is always something fun to watch or participate in. Campers need to be picked up at the close of camp as no activities are planned for them after their scheduled classes end.